Friday, January 13, 2012

Skoda Superb Greenline Estate (2012)


I awaited the arrival of my new long-term test car with great excitement: a Skoda Superb Estate was on its way and I for one couldn’t wait. Others haven’t been quite so enthusiastic: the first thing my older brother did when news of my new wheels reached him on the family grapevine was email me a long list of ancient Skoda jokes lazily culled from the internet.
My eager anticipation was not to be dulled however, and when delivery day arrived I was duly impressed. First, err, impressions are of a large, handsome estate. Finished in white (a favourite colour of mine) with dark tints to the rear windows and pretty light clusters it looks smart – if a little indistinct. The wheels are a let-down: 16 inches would look small on a Micra, but here they are a necessary part of the fuel saving Greenline-spec of this model. The eco changes extend to the engine (a 1.6 TDI producing 104bhp), the gearbox (five speeds rather than six to save weight) and the ride height (a 15mm suspension drop, combined with a revised front bumper for better aero performance).
Despite the Greenline spec, which besides the wheels is thankfully signalled only by a couple of small and cheap green stickers, this is one luxury Czech barge. In Elegance trim it’s the top of the range model; I’ll save a full list of the goodies for a later report, but immediately noticed and appreciated were the full black leather interior, colour touch-screen sat-nav, multifunction steering wheel, heated and electric front seats, and xenon headlights. The cabin feels very well appointed indeed, if not quite Audi-esque then certainly more Phaeton than Golf.
If you really do want to get a joke out of your new Skoda then, rather than resurrecting playground gags from the 1980s, ask your victim to jump in the back seat and watch them start laughing. Unless you are used to limos or first class air travel you will find the legroom on offer frankly absurd – the footwells are around the size of my old Mini Countryman’s boot. Similarly large is the boot itself, with a good square shape, flat floor and low lip for easy loading. I’m a very happy photographer.
All in all I think the car is going to suit me just fine – I look forward to putting the big Skoda to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment